Open all Close all

Motorcycle insurance claims tend to be expensive due to injuries and the cost of the damage done to the motorcycle and other vehicles involved.

If you hold a full motorcycle licence and your bike is a two seater or has a sidecar then you can insure to carry pillion riders or passengers.

No, not usually.

There are three categories of motorcycle licence in the UK. These are depicted by the letters P, A1, and A and carry age as well as riding restrictions.


This can be applied for at 16. It entitles riders who have passed their CBT to ride mopeds with a 50cc engine or less and a maximum speed not exceeding 50km/h.


This can be obtained at age 17. It entitles holders, who must pass their full bike test, to ride a light motorcycle with a 125cc engine and a power output of less than 14.6bhp.


This has two different meanings depending on whether a rider is younger or older than 21.
Category A entitles riders who are aged 17 or older and have passed their full bike test, to ride a bike which is restricted to 33bhp, and has a power to weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg. Or a motorcycle combination with the same restrictions.
If a rider is aged 21 and has passed his Direct Access test or held an A1 entitlement for two years, category A entitles him to ride any size motorcycle with or without a sidecar.

The choice of cover is Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft or Third Party Only.

Select the cover that suits your needs:

Third-party – the minimum most insurers offer

Third party insurance covers other people (third parties), but not you. If you injure someone or damage their property, they’re covered but if your own motorbike is damaged or stolen, you have to pay for the loss yourself.

Third party, fire and theft

Third-party, fire and theft covers other people. So, in that respect, it’s like third party.  But if your own motorbike is damaged, you have to pay for repairs yourself, apart from repairs or replacement if your motorbike is stolen or damaged by fire.
Like third-party insurance, third-party, fire and theft isn’t always cheaper than fully comprehensive cover – always compare prices.

Fully comprehensive

As well as third-party, fire and theft cover, comprehensive includes repairs to damage to your own motorbike

You can claim for:

  • Repairs after an accident
  • Accidental damage
  • Vandalism, for example if someone deliberately scratches your motorbike

Most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take compulsory basic training (CBT).  You then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take your CBT again.

After you’ve completed your CBT, you can ride a moped or a motorbike up to 125cc on the road with L plates (L or D plates in Wales) until you pass your full motorcycle test. There are local centres that offer this training.

Some policies will allow 'driving other bikes',  but it is not guaranteed and has conditions attached.

Some policies will allow a second motorbike to be added to the policy, if you are the only rider on the policy and the second motorbike is smaller than the first bike on the policy.

Computerquote Insurance only offers annual policies, but our pay as you go (PAYG) direct debit facility will allow policies to be cancelled without penalty, subject to conditions, it cover is required for less than a year.

You will be able to select cover to commute to work or travel to other offices or sites in connection with your own job, but Compterquote Insurance does not offer cover for couriers or fast food delivery.

Some insurers will include cover for accessories such as helmets and leathers, although these may only be covered while you are on the motorbike.  Our advisers will be able to help with this, so please call 0800 389 9949 to check if your accessories are insured, or consult your policy booklet.

Your policy will include European Cover at the same level of cover as in the UK for a limited number of days each year, for social domestic and pleasure


Parallel imports are motorbikes that have been built for another country's market, but have an equivalent model in the UK. Parallel motorcycle imports will have some differences in the vehicles specification such as the speed dial which may be in kph rather than mph or the headlights may point right instead of left.

Grey imports on the other hand are motorcycles for which there are no similar models available in the UK. Grey motorcycle imports can be difficult to repair or service and in some cases also costly, as the lack of readily accessible spares means that parts cannot be easily obtained.

Note: some insurers will not provide cover for grey or parallel imports due to the additional costs incurred.

Yes, providing the insurer has been advised that a sidecar is attached.

Policies that complement motorbike insurance and offer additional protection are available. Computerquote Insurance offers:

  • Legal Protection and Accident Protection
  • Breakdown Assistance
  • Excess Waiver Insurance  

We are able to offer cover for all standard motorbikes.

Yes, if you have the full details of the motorbike


If the policy is for a single motorbike additional drivers may be added.  The premium will be based on the youngest rider.

If the policy is for a single rider then additional motorbikes may be added. The main motorbike on the policy must be the biggest one.

As you build up your no claims bonus this will help towards the cost, as this shows insurers that you are a safe driver.

Taking a voluntary excess can reduce the premium, but will mean that with the compulsory excess you might have quite a large amount to find in the event of a claim.

Keeping the rider to just yourself  may keep costs down.

Garaging your motorbike, if you can, will help with the premium.

If you are over 25 your premium will be less, as older drivers attract lower premiums.