Open all Close all

To make a claim on your car, van or motorcycle insurance policy, call the Computerquote Claims Line on 0800 328 5552, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

With just one call to the Computerquote Insurance Claims Helpline, we can help with any accident, breakdown, damage to your vehicle or injury to you or your passengers and any authorised drivers, anywhere in the UK or Europe, regardless of who is at fault.

We take all details over the phone and immediately notify and complete all the necessary forms for your insurance company as well as directing you to your nearest approved repairer, recovery agent, windscreen provider or any other service required.

Calls may be recorded for security and training purposes.

The choice of cover (Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft or Third Party Only) is up to you.

Select the cover that suits your needs:    

Third party – the minimum most insurers offer

Third party insurance covers other people (third parties), but not you. If you injure someone or damage their property, they’re covered but if your own car is damaged or stolen, you have to pay for the loss yourself.

Third party, fire and theft

Third party, fire and theft covers other people. So, in that respect, it’s like third party.  But if your own car is damaged, you have to pay for repairs yourself, apart from repairs or replacement if your car is stolen or damaged by fire.

Like third party insurance, third party, fire and theft isn’t always cheaper than fully comprehensive cover – always compare prices.                

Fully comprehensive

As well as third party, fire and theft cover, comprehensive includes repairs to damage to your own car.

You can claim for:

  • Repairs after an accident
  • Accidental damage
  • Vandalism, for example, if someone deliberately scratches your car
  • Damaged windscreen

As you build up your no claims bonus this will help towards the cost, as this shows insurers that you are a safe driver.

Taking a voluntary excess can reduce the premium, but will mean that with the compulsory excess you might have quite a large amount to find in the event of a claim.

Owning the vehicle for some time can attract a discount from some insurers, and older, less valuable, vehicles may be a little cheaper to insure.

Keeping the number of drivers to yourself and just one or two others may keep costs down.

Garaging your car, if you can, will help with the premium.

If you are over 25 your premium will be less, as older drivers attract lower premiums.  

The 'class of use' will depend entirely on what you use the vehicle for. The 'class of use' applies to the policyholder in most circumstances, with any additional drivers having 'social, domestic and pleasure use only'. Make sure that you select the correct use as if you use the vehicle for something it is not insured for the insurer may decline to meet a claim and even cancel the policy.  Our advisers will help, if you are not sure.

Social: Covers day-to-day driving, such as visiting friends, school runs and shopping
Social and commuting: Covers social use and travel to a single place of permanent work
Class One: Covers  social use and use for travel in relation to your own job, such as visiting different sites, offices or meetings away from the normal place of work
Class Two: Covers named drivers using the car for the policyholder's business e.g. a shop owner allowing an employee to visit the cash and carry for supplies
Class Three: Covers commercial travelling or collecting money for a third party e.g. debt or rent collecting

Your insurer will apply 'no claims bonus',  to your policy for each year that you hold the policy and do not make a claim on it. Most insurers have a maximum of 5 years no claims bonus - 65%.

If a claim is made under your policy the level of bonus will be reduced, but it will build up again as you have more claim free years.

If you do not have car insurance for a while your no claims bonus will stay available to use for up to two years, after that you will need to start to earn it again.

The number of years no claims bonus you have earned will be stated on your renewal notice when your renewal is due. It will show on your schedule if you have a current live policy.

Alternatively, if you have not had insurance for a while, contact your last insurance provider to find out.

If you make a claim on your policy and there is no one for the insurer to recover their costs from (for example a 'fault' accident or a theft claim) you will lose some or all of your no claims bonus. 

You can protect your no claims bonus, when you have achieved maximum, by paying an additional amount. This means that even if you were to make a claim, your no claims bonus would stay intact. 

A protected no claims bonus does not mean that you may not have to pay a  higher premium when you come to renew your car insurance, as premiums may be subject to standard rate rises or your other discounts may change.

No, each policy accrues bonus independently and bonus can only be applied to one car and one policy at a time. However, if you have earned no claims bonus and want to insure a second vehicle some insurers will give an 'introductory bonus' equivalent to the  amount earned on the first policy.

Introductory bonus has conditions attached. You will need to provide a copy of your current schedule, which will prove that you have bonus on the first vehicle, you will not be allowed to add a 'young' (under 25) driver to the policy and you will have to have been claim and conviction free for the past 5 years.

No, only the policyholder has the benefit of the no claims bonus accrued on the policy.

If your no claims bonus has been accrued on a policy held outside the UK it is best to check with the insurer that it is acceptable to them.  A lot of insurers will accept no claims bonus from within the European Union (EU), but only a few accept bonus from outside the EU.

Named drivers get the same policy cover that the policyholder has selected (comprehensive, third party fire and theft or third party only), but only the policyholder gets the policy benefits like the use (other than social, domestic and pleasure), the 'driving other cars' extension and the accrued no claims bonus.

Policies that complement motor insurance and offer additional protection are available.

Computerquote Insurance offers:

  • Breakdown Assistance
  • Replacement Vehicle
  • Legal Cover and Accident Protection
  • Excess Waiver Insurance (private motor only)

Ask us for details so that you only select the additional cover that you require.

Any change from 'factory standard specification' including alloy wheels, spoiler, engine modifications, roof racks and towbars are considered modifications and must be advised to your insurer. Some modifications will mean that the vehicle needs to be insured by a 'specialist' insurer.

Yes, we offer quotations for all drivers.

If you have taken your Pass Plus course within a year of taking your test, and you take out your first insurance before you have held your licence a full year, some insurers will include a discount to acknowledge that you have taken the course.

However, this discount is often a lot less than the cost of the course so it is not worth taking the course just because of insurance, the course is designed to help you to be a better, safer driver.

Some insurers allow 'driving other cars' as a benefit for the policyholder, but it is not guaranteed.

There is also terms that apply (shown in the policy wording) and as the cover is restricted to 'Third Party Only' it is not a good idea to rely on this cover other than in an emergency. If you regularly drive another person's vehicle it is best, for your own and their security, to be named on their policy.  

If you work out how many miles you drive to work and back each week and how much mileage you do for your own social, domestic and pleasure use in a typical week, add them together and multiply by 52, that will give you a reasonably accurate figure.

Do not forget to add in any business mileage you might do and if you use your vehicle for the occasional long distance journey remember to allow for that as well. You can also compare the mileage between MOTs.

Yes, the annual mileage will be taken into account by the insurer, alongside a range of other risk factors.  It is important that you calculate as accurately as possible; underestimating the mileage may invalidate your cover.

Charges may apply, it is best to read the Terms of Business to see the charges applicable during the life of the policy.

Yes, it is a statutory requirement to have insurance for your motor vehicle. If you are not using it then you must apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), otherwise the authorities will become aware that you have an uninsured motor vehicle and there are penalties that can be imposed.

This is the fee that is charged when any change is made to the policy. Insurance brokers usually have a standard fee and insurers have a minimum charge for any change.

If any of the details that you gave when you took out the policy change your insurer will need to know. These details are shown on the original Statement of Insurance and on your policy schedule. This includes your name, address, marital status, employment details and health.

Note: some changes may result in an additional premium.  

Your documents may be posted or sent by email.

Insurers usually have their own network of approved repairers, which helps to speed up the claims process, but your insurer will always discuss the repairs with you and consider your request.

You may be able to seek costs from the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB).  

All insurers contribute to the fund that compensates people if they are the victim of uninsured drivers.

Yes, if the claim was in the last five years. Insurers want to know your driving history and this includes all claims made, whatever the circumstances, by you (and any other drivers) under any motor insurance policy.

Yes, your car will be considered safer if kept in a garage overnight rather than on the street, as it will be less exposed to theft and damage. However, if you state that it is kept in a garage but claim for a theft that occurred overnight at the registered address while the vehicle was not garaged, this can affect the claim.

Legal Expenses and Accident Protection covers you for losses not covered by your motor insurance policy.

These are called 'uninsured losses' and can include dealing with an injury compensation claim, hire car costs, vehicle damage if you have third party insurance and reclaiming your excess. Being involved in an accident can be very stressful and the support and guidance can be invaluable.

This cover only applies if the accident you have been involved in is not your fault and you know the details of the third party.  

You can enter your vehicle details manually if the registration number is not recognised, unless your vehicle is imported, modified or a kit car.

If you are not able to enter your vehicle details please call 0800 389 9949, during our office hours Monday to Friday 8.30am - 7.00pm, Saturday 8.30am to 5.30 pm.  Our advisors will be pleased to assist.

If you have comprehensive cover and your vehicle is damaged by flood water your insurers will consider a claim.  

If your vehicle is a pick-up please call us on 0800 389 9949, during our office hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 7.00 pm, Saturday 8.30am to 5.30 pm.  Our advisers will be pleased to assist.

As of 2011, all vehicles are subject to the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) regulation set out by the DVLA. The CIE is designed to clamp down on uninsured drivers. All vehicles are recorded on the Motor Insurance Database, and if a vehicle does not have insurance or Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), the owner may face a fine or prosecution, the vehicle may be clamped, seized and destroyed.